The United Church in George Street, Warminster

The United Church came into existence when the congregation of The Common Close United Reformed Church amalgamated with the George Street Methodist Church on Sunday 4th September 1983.

In 1976 the Foyer was added to the front of the building, the pews replaced with chairs and the schoolrooms modernised with a kitchen and toilet facilities installed.
Discussions to join with the United Reformed Church at Common Close were initiated in the 1960’s, but it was not until1983 that these came to completion with the formation of The United Church (Methodist/URC) on Sunday 4th September.   At that inaugural service the Rev. Roy Wareing minister at George Street, stated – “This September begins a new era in the life of the church in George Street, for we are no longer a Methodist Church, but a United Church – Methodist and United Reformed Church Christians worshipping and working as one.”   The union has proved to be happy, though it was a time of sacrifice for the URC members who left their place of worship, which was later demolished.   As a United Church we have attempted to blend the practices and traditions of the two denominations.

The Rev. Fred Gilson, minister at Common Close when it was a Congregational Church in the 1940’s wrote:
‘No church can live upon the past, or exist solely upon its traditions….there is but one Gospel that can save.’
It is that Gospel that we as The United Church continue to proclaim